Thursday, April 22, 2010

M101

It’s good to be out under the clear sky again. M101 is a spiral galaxy estimated at 27 million light years away in the constellation Ursa Major. The Ha filter was used to highlight the HII regions in the galaxy.

Optics: Takahashi FSQ-106
Mount: Astro-Physics AP900GTO
Camera: SBIG ST2K XM
Filters Astrodon L, R, G, B, & Ha
Dates: May 19, 2009 through April 12, 2010
Location: Deerlick Astronomy Village and Roswell, Georgia

Exposure Details
Ha = 450 Minutes
L = 240 Minutes
RGB = 180 Minutes

I want to dedicate this picture to Chuck Duff my Dad and great friend. His thirst for knowledge and wisdom will always be a great inspiration to me. We shared a great life. He had the opportunity to see the Lord this past Christmas day. While I miss our time eating ice cream under the stars and talking of life’s great mysteries - I can still remember him and with confidence look forward to seeing him again. If I could instill the love that his children had for him into my two boys – I would consider myself a worthy dad. Thank you for the time we had together and let me always remember how precious every moment of every day is to have with my sweetheart and boys.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Paul, I was touched by your sentiments about your dad and can only echo your very thoughts and words about my father. He took me out in the cool fall night, hoping to be able to spot Sputnik way back in 1957, when I was about 10 yrs young. We never did get to spot that Russian satellite with my new Tasco 70mm (awful) refractor but the memory of that night with my dad lives vividly in my mind's eye and my heart and I hope to pass that love on to my kids and future grandkids. Thank you for sharing your photos and your kind words. David Ohmann, Marietta, Ga. davidoh46@hotmail.com